Re: [orca-list] Orca crashes and fails to start (Arch/Gnome 3.8)

You mention that you disabled pulseaudio on your system. It seems
possible that it was reenabled when the package was upgraded to 4.0
recently, which could explain why you are not getting sound from gnome
and speech-dispatcher now. The modesetting error would appear to be
completely unrelated, and most likely has something to do with screen
resolution or something else related to graphics. I'm thinking it's
possible a config file somewhere has changed, and you may need to merge
the config file you have with the one shipped with the package, which
was saved with a .pacnew extension. You will likely also need to take
the steps you took to once again disable pulseaudio, as it is surely
running after the upgrade, especially if you simply replaced
/usr/bin/pulseaudio with an empty file or a symlink to /usr/bin/true or
similar. Definitely also try copying and pasting at least part of the
startx modesetting error you get into a Google search, as I have had
really good luck finding the meaning of such errors along with the fixes
for them by doing this. Hope this helps.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--
"Kyle? ... She calls her cake, Kyle?"