Re: [orca-list] What distribution?

Ok, I did it.  I set up a virtual machine with Fedora in it last night
before bed.  It wasn't too bad either.  Here's what happened while it's
still resh in my mind:

You do use flat review a lot but you can use tabbing too.  All of the
settings you have to check have to be clicked with flat review and then you
can navigate some with tab.  Stuff like time zone and region and all that.
The defaults are ok but there's a done button you have to hit each time.
It's like there's dialogs inside the main dialog, if you catch my meaning.
You can't proceed to the next step until you've accessed all the dialogs and
selected done in each one.  You use a combination of tab and flat review to
get around.  The real pain in the butt was the configuration step. It comes
after you click begin install.  Orca cut out a lot and there was tremendous
lag between keying in commands and the responses from the system to them.  I
was able to set a root password but lost patience with the user setup dialog
and just made my user not have a password.  I'll set one for it later, it's
not hard to do once you've got your system configured.  After all that mess,
you reboot.

So, that took like 45 minutes or so and then, there's the initial startup of
the new installation of Fedora.  You wait a bit and then launch orca with
alt f2.  You may have to turn up your system volume with media keys which,
if you're lucky, wil work just fine.  Anyway, like dave said, you get music
and it's annoying.  You also get a launched browser session and what I am
assuming is a slide show of all the features of gnome.  Then, you are in a
dialog to configure more stuff like your cloud accounts and things.  I just
paged through this dialog and eventually got a finish button.  You are
pretty much all set once that's behind you except for one thing.  You need
to get to the settings area and turn on the screen reader setting in the
Universal Access region.  If you're familiar with Gnome, you've done that
before so, I won't go into that.

That's it, I think.  I hope I haven't forgotten anything.  I installed my
first package with Yum.  It was the gnome-tweak-tool because I can't stand
not having a desktop window.  You can totally skip that if you like.  That's
just a personal preference of mine.

All in all, I have to say, it wasn't all that bad.  Took a while and there
were some frustrating bits but, it wasn't too shabby.  It's totally doable
if you have patience.  I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie though.  If
you're new to Linux, have someone experienced on hand to help if things get
hairy for you.

Hope this helps someone.
Alex M