[orca-list] apostrophe versus quote

It seems as if newer version of orca say different things for many non-alpha characters when you ttype them versus when you cursor over them. This is a problem for a programmer. For example, if I press the apostrophe key, orca says quote. If I cursor over the same character, it says apostrophe. This seems to happen in orca 3.9 or better on debian wheezy and in ubuntu. It is not a problem in orca 2.3 from debian squeeze. Other examples of this same problem are number and hash, circumflex and caret, and asterisk and star. If you type the character, it ssays one thing, if you back over it, it says something else.

There must be some setting in orca that turns that off. I've been poking around in the settings and I can't find anything.
John G. Heim, 608-263-4189, jheim math wisc edu