Re: [orca-list] Column Headers in Libreoffice Calc

Steve Holmes <steve holmes88 gmail com> wrote:
Nah, I remember the earlier days of gnome 3 and I hated them. Frankly
I have not been happy with gnome 3 until after 3.4.

That's no coincidence: 3.4 is the version which resolved many of the
accessibility regressions introduced by GNOME 3.
Shortly after
that, I got more involved with a Mac and frankly found it to be lots
easier to use. Now I'm back with Linux, re-installed on a bigger drive
and balancing time between the Mac and Linux.

I considered buying a Mac, but decided against it because I would end up
installing Emacs, LaTeX and a host of other UNIX tools, at which point I might
as well be running Linux. That is, if you're going to use your machine
primarily to run UNIX tools and applications, there isn't any advantage in
using OSX. On the other hand, if you do a lot of audio editing (which I
don't), OSX is apparently the best environment at the moment.
Here is one case where
Office productivity is better with gnome 3.8 and Libreoffice 4.0 or
greater. On the Mac only office options that are accessible is using
IWorks which is over 4 years old and a11y is dicy. Libreoffice is
completely inaccessible on modern Macs <sigh>.

Libreoffice and a browser are the only GUI applications I need to get work
done (and I mostly use LibreOffice from the command line to convert files
rather than interactively), so I suppose the above confirms that I'm using the
right operating system to meet my requirements.