From: 'Janina Sajka' [mailto:janina rednote net]
Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2013 4:16 PM
To: Alex Midence
Cc: 'D. A. H.'; orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Revamped explanation of problems relating to lack
of speech accessability

I believe jack and orca are incompatible, but I don't regard this as a
problem because, if I'm doing the kind of serious audio work that requires
jack, I don't want my screen reader mixed in with my music.
Besides, there are very affordable audio modules available these days,
certainly adequate for TTS output at under $15 USD.

On the other hand, if you care about jack, you are probably running
something considerably more quality, i.e. RME., that cost possibly two
magnitudes more.

PS: I currently have 8 audio devices all funneling through a Mackie mixer
with two sets of output speakers that I can route through.

Janina

Alex Midence writes:
I wonder how Jack affects Orca these days.  I tried fooling with Jack
once back on Ubuntu 10.04 and each and every time I did it (It was
when I was trying Ardour out), it stopped talking.  It's like it just
took over the whole sound system of the machine.  I came to the
conclusion that you probably need 2 sound cards to run Jack, one for
Orca's use and one for Jack's but I don't know if this is a correct
conclusion or not.

Alex M