From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Dave Hunt
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2012 11:43 PM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Trisquel GNU/Linux 6.0 LTS is out in pre-release
edition

If you want Voxin on Trisquel, you're missing the point; use something else!

-Dave

On 10/22/2012 12:41 AM, agustin adolfo Martinez Hernandez wrote:
Hello. is possible  install voxin on trisquel?

2012/10/22, Dave Hunt <ka1cey gmail com>:
Hi,

I'm pleased to inform you that the long-awaited Trisquel GNU/Linux
6.0 LTS I18N Edition is almost out, and looks fine!  I installed this
thing and am using it.  This release includes GNOME 3.4.2,
Libreoffice 3.5.4.2, Mozilla browser 15, exaile music player, pidgin
messenger, and more, with many more apps in the distro's apt
repositories.  The I18N edition includes many language packs and
media codecs.  Also, Orca is activated, out of the box, on this one,
as is the case on previous Trisquel I18N edition dvds.  Trisquel is a
distro that respects, to the greatest extent possible, the four
freedoms as advocated by the FSF, and never recommends non-free
software.  For information on the Trisquel GNU/Linux project, and
links to the current and older releases, visit http://trisquel.info.
To get the subject up-coming release,  visit
http://devel.trisquel.info/makeiso/iso/latest/trisquel_6.0-20121021-i
18n_i686.iso

If you try this release, plese share your experience with the community.
   Now, here's what I found.

After downloading the image, I wrote it to a flash drive in the usual
manner, with the 'dd' command, in the terminal.  I'm pleased to
report that the resulting system booted.  After what seemed a long
wait, Orca came up talking, but all I could do, at this point, was
adjust its preferences.  The shortcuts for switching applications,
bringing up the 'run' dialogue, moving among system controls, and
pulling down the menus were not defined.  I could, however, get to a
terminal, using 'ctrl+alt+t'.  From this terminal, I launched
gnome-control-center, and defined the shortcuts I needed.  Once I did
this, I could proceed to explore the desktop, panel, and menus.  As
with previous versions of Trisquel, the default ui is the GNOME
fallback, with all the applets on the bottom panel, the desktop with
a few defaults like 'computer', 'trash', 'home' and 'network
servers'.  On the dvd image, you will have the installer as a desktop
icon, as well.  When I got to the bottom panel, I connected to my
wifi network, easily.  When moving among the available networks, Orca
now indicates the signal strength and whether the network is secured
(very nice!)  The installer is much like a Ubuntu installer, but with the
option of adding the proprietary stuff absent.
The install went swimmingly!  I booted from the hard drive and
discovered that the login greeter (gdm) has accessibility enabled.
Orca launches, with the preferences dialogue focused.  Use
'ctrl+alt+tab' to go to the greeter, choose your name, and log in.
You may discover, as I have done, that the volume is zeroed out on
the login greeter, your session, or both, when you start.
Fortunately, my media keys work, and I can turn up volumes.  I wish
it would stay where I left it, at shutdown, though.

I shared my findings with the main Trisquel users' forum, and await
replies.  It looks like the builds are daily, now, and I'm hoping for
the final release soon!  Trisquel has historically been 4 to 6 months
behind Ubuntu, of which it is a derivative.

Excited,

Dave  Hunt
The manual is at