[orca-list] Trisquel GNU/Linux 6.0 LTS is out in pre-release edition

Hi,

I'm pleased to inform you that the long-awaited Trisquel GNU/Linux 6.0 LTS I18N Edition is almost out, and looks fine! I installed this thing and am using it. This release includes GNOME 3.4.2, Libreoffice 3.5.4.2, Mozilla browser 15, exaile music player, pidgin messenger, and more, with many more apps in the distro's apt repositories. The I18N edition includes many language packs and media codecs. Also, Orca is activated, out of the box, on this one, as is the case on previous Trisquel I18N edition dvds. Trisquel is a distro that respects, to the greatest extent possible, the four freedoms as advocated by the FSF, and never recommends non-free software. For information on the Trisquel GNU/Linux project, and links to the current and older releases, visit http://trisquel.info. To get the subject up-coming release, visit http://devel.trisquel.info/makeiso/iso/latest/trisquel_6.0-20121021-i18n_i686.iso

If you try this release, plese share your experience with the community. Now, here's what I found.

After downloading the image, I wrote it to a flash drive in the usual manner, with the 'dd' command, in the terminal. I'm pleased to report that the resulting system booted. After what seemed a long wait, Orca came up talking, but all I could do, at this point, was adjust its preferences. The shortcuts for switching applications, bringing up the 'run' dialogue, moving among system controls, and pulling down the menus were not defined. I could, however, get to a terminal, using 'ctrl+alt+t'. From this terminal, I launched gnome-control-center, and defined the shortcuts I needed. Once I did this, I could proceed to explore the desktop, panel, and menus. As with previous versions of Trisquel, the default ui is the GNOME fallback, with all the applets on the bottom panel, the desktop with a few defaults like 'computer', 'trash', 'home' and 'network servers'. On the dvd image, you will have the installer as a desktop icon, as well. When I got to the bottom panel, I connected to my wifi network, easily. When moving among the available networks, Orca now indicates the signal strength and whether the network is secured (very nice!) The installer is much like a Ubuntu installer, but with the option of adding the proprietary stuff absent. The install went swimmingly! I booted from the hard drive and discovered that the login greeter (gdm) has accessibility enabled. Orca launches, with the preferences dialogue focused. Use 'ctrl+alt+tab' to go to the greeter, choose your name, and log in. You may discover, as I have done, that the volume is zeroed out on the login greeter, your session, or both, when you start. Fortunately, my media keys work, and I can turn up volumes. I wish it would stay where I left it, at shutdown, though.

I shared my findings with the main Trisquel users' forum, and await replies. It looks like the builds are daily, now, and I'm hoping for the final release soon! Trisquel has historically been 4 to 6 months behind Ubuntu, of which it is a derivative.

Excited,

Dave  Hunt