Re: [orca-list] Great news for blind gamers

Hi,
I have started such a repository of magical key presses. All it needs is some user input lol.
http://stormdragon.us/?p=73
Storm
On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 06:00 PM, Kyle <kyle4jesus gmail com> wrote:

from: Kyle <kyle4jesus gmail com>
date: Thu, Nov 08 06:00 PM -05:00 2012
to: orca-list gnome org
subject: Re: [orca-list] Great news for blind gamers

According to Christopher Chaltain:
# I don't disagree with anything here. For my part, I do prioritize thinks
# I need for my job over games. I also prioritize ongoing accessibility
# issues over one time accessibility issues, such as installs.
<snip...>

On the surface, this would seem fair, except for one small problem. If
one-time accessibility was a low priority for many of us, an unknown
someone could just register on forums for us and setup our Google
accounts. But people get understandably angry when they have to solve
those captcha things, even when it's Google's captcha, which does have
an audio alternative, although it's very hard to understand especially
the new ones, and it is only required at setup, unless you royally screw
up your account the way I did when I tried to run my entire phone
through tor. And again, many of us don't have, or even feel we should
need a someone. I was taught all my life that I could and should be
independent, which seems it should not include having a resident
application installer and captcha solver in house ready to do my bidding
at the ring of a bell or the push of a buzzer.

Yes, I do understand the limited amount of resources available for
making things accessible, and I appreciate all the hard work that goes
into making the things I use every day work for me and many others as
well as they do. On the other hand, as for me, I can only consider
something fully accessible if it can be installed and run successfully
by a single blind, visually impaired, or otherwise so-called disabled
person. That doesn't preclude the possibility of cludgy work-arounds
until an installer or captcha solution becomes accessible, but something
cannot be considered fully accessible unless there is at the very least
a temporary cludge available for making it possible to start and use
without help, and hopefully the promise of a better solution in the long
term.

That being said, many Windows installers allow installation of an
application simply by pressing enter a few times, with the exception of
accepting the license agreements, which can usually be done by randomly
pressing alt a or alt y. So if pressing the enter key 6 times doesn't
work, alt a or alt y should get you to the place where it finishes
normally, and the game will just play after that. So in this case, the
cludgy work-around could be a central repository, i.e. a forum, wiki or
some other type of website, where keystrokes guaranteed to work for a
specific game's installer could be input, e.g.

<example>
To install Dungeons of the Creepy Castle, download the installer from
http://example.com/audiogames/3daudio/creepycastle.html
Upon running the installer executable, press enter twice, and accept the
licence agreement by pressing alt y. Then, press enter 4 more times, and
the game will be installed to your computer. You will find it in your
desktop menu in Wine->WinViz Audio->Dungeons of the Creepy Castle->Play
Dungeons of the Creepy Castle.
</example>

In such a repository of wine-based audiogames, it may also help to
indicate exactly how playable the game is, indicate, if possible, what
version of Wine works best, and indicate any problems during game play
and their suggested fixes. Something like this could go a long way
toward having a better accessible gaming experience until more native
Linux and/or cross-platform games can be developed, and likely wouldn't
take more than a handful of volunteers to maintain, and if it requires
someone with eyes to read the installers, they would only need to read
them once for the entire community,which is much less resource intensive
than rewriting Wine from scratch so that installers talk to Orca,
although that is indeed a goal worth achieving. Heck, if we could just
get NVDA to run in Wine, it would make a lot of people, including
myself, very happy.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk