Re: [orca-list] Unity 2d is going away: What will happen to accessibility in 12.10

Hi Alex,

That's a very valid point, and unfortunately as it doesn't seem like
there will be a fallback environment for systems with low memory and
CPU power you either have to upgrade your memory or stick with 12.04
LTS for the long term. As it is regardless of what Linux distribution
you pick you are going to have the exact same issues. Fedora 17, for
example, is scheduled to ship with Gnome 3.4, and you'll have the same
issue with Gnome on Fedora as Ubuntu. Arch also is running Gnome 3.4,
last I checked, so same issue again. Eventually, Debian will get
there, and so on. So if memory and CPU power is going to be an issue
unfortunately you'll have little choice but to upgrade your hardware
to continue using Linux or you'll have to wait for Xfce to get its act
together accessibility wise.

I certainly understand where you are coming from, but the fact of the
matter is no matter what OS we decide to use Windows, Linux, Mac, etc
we are going to have to have a fairly new machine to run the OS on.
Things like 3d graphics aren't going away and Cononical's decision to
use Unity 3D is just a sign of what sighted users of the OS want out
of the desktop environment, and what Cononical has to do in order to
compete with say Microsoft Windows which has had considerable updates
to its 3d graphics and animations from Vista onward.

Cheers!