Re: [orca-list] audio editing and recording in linux?

Hi Alex1
You can setup Ecasound/Nama to use MIDI controls. So you could get one of those MIDI controller boxes or use any synth, that you might have around to control effect parameters. In Nama start/stop are handld by pressing SPACE, forward and rewind take a little more time:
fw 200
rw 10
But you can use cursor up/down to go back to an earlier command or you could setup a loop, if you were practising something particular in a larger recording. Bristol does have a very nice UI. I'm really in love with that one. :-) There's also fluidsynth, which has a shell UI, but onces the sound is loaded, it doesn't require much interaction on the PC. There's zynAddSubFX 2.2 or whatever, which can at least load a sound from the commandline. Nice for just playing. For more specific things, you might create a csound orchestra, which is some work, but might yield VERY POWERFUL setups. Well csound is designed with the computer musician in mind. There's midish for recording MIDI from the commandline, it also brings its own shell. But the help system isn't as good as in Nama. Though Midish has a wonderful complete guide online, very good to navigate and very maticulously kept.
  Warm regards
          Julien

Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;

======      Find my music at      ======