Re: [orca-list] Linux Accessibility: qt-at-spi 0.2 released

Hi.

I've been testing KDE and can verify that there are some things that
are still in need of work with regard to accessibility.  However, I
found the following to be true:

Setting the menus to "classic" in kde renders the application menu
accessible with alt f1
Most utilities not requiring text input such as the music players, the
file managers and system customization utilities work rather well.
Applications such as Kate and Kopete which have text entry areas did
not work well for me.  If accessed from Gnome, they crashed and the
KDE crash handler would come up.  If they didn't crash and I typed a
line of text say:

#include <iostream>

and went left or right with the arrow keys, tried to use flat review
or on the numpad or did anything else to review what I had typed, I'd
get dead silence and the thing would eventually crash.

Other apps like Korganizer, Kwallet, and the package manager front
ends had sporadic performance.  This means that some areas were
accessible and others were not.

In some of my experimenting, I launched some of the KDE apps from the
Gnome-terminal so I could observe some of the output from at-spi and
company.  In cases where multi-line text entry areas were not being
spoken, I got messages refering to problems with children of objects.
I wish I had the exact output lines handy so I could forward them to
the list.

Lastly, and most disturbing of all, in my opinion, I tried a few
things based on some questions which Krishnakant had posed in an
earlier e-mail.  I launched previously accessible applications like
Libreoffice, Gedit and Firefox from within KDE using the alt f2 run
application dialog and the application menu reachable with alt f1.  In
both instances, these  applications didn't read at all.  Why this is,
I do not know but, I wonder if it's not tied with the problem qt apps
have in making children of objects accessible.  I wonder if the fact
that these applications are being brought up from KDE using the KDE
window manager would somehow turn them into children of that window
manager and its inaccessible properties are inherited by its child
objects.  I could be totally wrong here since I very dimly understand
the relationship between objects in a GUI at this level but, it's a
speculation I've been tossing around in my head for a few days.  To
really put the icing on the cake, I also noticed that the
application-specific  orca preferences dialog either could not be
brought up or could not be read from within any QT aplication I pulled
up either in Gnome or KDE itself.

Sorry about the data dump.  Been meaning to come on here and post for
the last few days but my work has really picked up and I have been
extraordinarily busy.  I'll be posting another e-mail later today to
this list, the kde accessibility list and the vinux-support list
containing the links to the multidesktop virtual machine I created
with Ubuntu 12.04 beta.  I thought it was going to be an html file
but, time forgives none and if I don't get around to posting something
today be it as simple as an e-mail with links and instructions, I fear
I never will.

Thanks.
Alex M