Re: [orca-list] Linux Accessibility: qt-at-spi 0.2 released

Hi Alex,

On 15/03/12 19:46, Alex Midence wrote:
Hi.

I've been testing KDE and can verify that there are some things that
are still in need of work with regard to accessibility.  However, I
found the following to be true:

Setting the menus to "classic" in kde renders the application menu
accessible with alt f1
Most utilities not requiring text input such as the music players, the
file managers and system customization utilities work rather well.

Wow, seems to be on a good track and at least the start is great.
Applications such as Kate and Kopete which have text entry areas did
not work well for me.  If accessed from Gnome, they crashed and the
KDE crash handler would come up.  If they didn't crash and I typed a
line of text say:

#include<iostream>

and went left or right with the arrow keys, tried to use flat review
or on the numpad or did anything else to review what I had typed, I'd
get dead silence and the thing would eventually crash.

So do you mean that even a simple text editor won't be accessible?

Other apps like Korganizer, Kwallet, and the package manager front
ends had sporadic performance.  This means that some areas were
accessible and others were not.

In some of my experimenting, I launched some of the KDE apps from the
Gnome-terminal so I could observe some of the output from at-spi and
company.  In cases where multi-line text entry areas were not being
spoken, I got messages refering to problems with children of objects.
I wish I had the exact output lines handy so I could forward them to
the list.

Lastly, and most disturbing of all, in my opinion, I tried a few
things based on some questions which Krishnakant had posed in an
earlier e-mail.  I launched previously accessible applications like
Libreoffice, Gedit and Firefox from within KDE using the alt f2 run
application dialog and the application menu reachable with alt f1.  In
both instances, these  applications didn't read at all.  Why this is,
I do not know but, I wonder if it's not tied with the problem qt apps
have in making children of objects accessible.  I wonder if the fact
that these applications are being brought up from KDE using the KDE
window manager would somehow turn them into children of that window
manager and its inaccessible properties are inherited by its child

Well, it is like this.
YOu can have a totally inaccessible libre office even on gnome if you don't install the gnome-support package, same is with firefox. I might not be spelling the names correctly but I had this experience with libre office when I installed it manually for the first time. I had even asked on this list and got the right directions to install the required support. I wonder if we can run gnome based applications in KDE as we can run KDE based apps in Gnome?
This way, we can have the office and ff working in KDE with gnome support.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.