Re: [orca-list] planning to buy a new laptop

El jue, 14-06-2012 a las 12:43 +0100, Dominique escribiÃ:
Thanks Jason.

On 6/14/2012 11:43 AM, Jason White wrote:
As I understand it, the Linux drivers for Intel graphics hardware are
written by Intel developers, so if it gives you the video performance
you need then you can certainly choose a laptop with an Intel graphics
controller.

That is a problem, I don't know if the default Intel controller will
give me the performance I need, which is using a screen magnifier in
full screen.

Hi Dominique,

GNOME Shell uses relatively primitive 3D capabilities that have been
available from essentially all computing devices made in the last 4 or 5
years. This includes most desktop and laptop computers, mobile devices,
phones, tablets, and netbooks.

The only problematic hardware from Intel is the old GMA500 'Poulsbo',
because AFAIK it was developed by a third party, and the support
was very bad, though in recent times has been added support for Linux.

I would recommend having a look at http://www.linuxlaptops.org/ before
buying anything.

The computers I am looking at are too recent, and thus not in the list...

There may be a Linux laptop distributor in your country - you should
do some research online.

Take a look to http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

I already did, there are some laptops available with Linux, but they
present specs for general use.

As a matter of taste, I like lenovo thinkpads laptops, mainly because
its good quality keyboard. Take a look to

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Hardware_Specifications

for Linux support for specific models if you like.

Cheers,

   -- Juanjo Marin