Re: [orca-list] Some bugs with perhaps possible fixing in master branch

Hi Jeff,

Couldn't have said it better myself, and you are absolutely right.
Freedom Scientific doesn't really have to put a lot of money into
marketing research etc because they know that U.S. state agencies and
most rehab centers will buy their product anyway. Plus with the SMA
agreements that pretty much insures that Jaws stays in the lead, and
they don't have anything to fear from Window-Eyes, Orca, Supernova, or
anything else as long as the U.S. government keeps lining their
pockets.

I know from experience if a young college student asks vocational
rehab to chip in and buy them an accessible computer they will get a
vocational rehab special. Usually an inexpensive desktop system with
Windows Home Basic on it, Jaws, Openbook, and probably toss Microsoft
Office in with the system too. There are plenty of alternatives to
Jaws such as Window-Eyes, Supernova, or NVDA but they don't even
consider them. Instead of whipping out a thousand bucks for Openbook
they could go for a cheaper mainstream OCR package like Omnipage but
don't. Since the end user gets all this stuff for free its easier for
them just to keep paying for their SMA than to come up for the money
for alternative access tech. That keeps guys like Freedom Scientific
in business.

The government could really save themselves money if they purchased a
new Del laptop or desktop preloaded with Ubuntu 12.04 with Orca,
perhaps a commercial TTS package, and an open source OCR package, but
they are never going to do that because if you start talking about
Linux to their so-called experts you might as well be speaking
Klingon. As far as their techs are concerned Jaws is the cat's meow,
and sadly I've seen Jaws quality get steadily worse the last few years
because they don't really do research on what their customers want or
need. Which brings me to my point.

With Orca we have a chance to focus on real accessibility issues that
effect everyone. Ubuntu 12 can be installed from scratch using Orca
from the live CD. Some work has been done to make Fedora's installer,
Anaconda, more accessible. These kinds of accessibility features are
far more important to an end user than the kind of crap such as
ResearchIt found in Jaws. At least with recent versions of Ubuntu and
Orca I can repartition my drive, install my OS, etc from scratch. Try
doing that with Windows and Jaws.

Basically, what I am getting at is the Orca developers' time is
valuable and we should prioritize what features are most important to
everyone. Is making sure that the logout dialog in Gnome 3.41 is
accessible more important to us than having control+c state if some
text is copied to the clipboard? Is Qt access more important than some
other feature? These are the things we need to think about and
prioritize so that the most important things get done first.

Cheers!