Re: [orca-list] Some bugs with perhaps possible fixing in master branch

Hi,

This is straying off-topic. I will attempt to make it relevant so please stick with me.

In response to Alex' message asserting that JAWS features are implemented due to demand, this may have been true once but it's not necessarily true anymore. Two reasons for this:

1. They are the most used screen reader, particularly in the USA which is their main concern. As such they can pretty much do what they want. The other screen readers need to play catch-up and everybody knows it.

2. Many people take out software maintenance agreements for major releases of JAWS. This entitles a person to the next two major releases. Back in the day, these major releases were usually worth it, being notable upgrades in performance or functionality. But now, Freedom Scientific has effectively made it a two-year support contract because they roll out a new major release every single year. This of course gives them a more reliable income stream from SMA customers. However, it also means that they need to come up with enough new features to warrant a new version designation, or at least to make it look like people are actually getting something for their money. So this results in highly dubious features like ResearchIt that very arguably should not even be in a screen reader being touted by FS as a major feature in JAWS 11.

Now I say all this because we should take this into account if we want to consider using the functionality present in commercial screen readers as a gauge for what should be implemented in free ones. My point is that the wants and needs of the user are not the only things that drive commercial screen reader development, and are quite possibly not the most influential ones that do. Since screen readers like Orca are not subject to such commercial pressures, and particularly since they also lack the kind of development man-power that commercial money can buy, we can and must think more about the usefulness of various features rather than merely copy what someone else decided to do.

Cheers,
Geoff.