Re: [orca-list] left/right double angle bracket

Hy Chris,

You hear similar tutorial messages?
"Leertaste zum Ausklappen betÃtigen und mit ÂHochÂ- und ÂRunterÂ-Taste Element auswÃhlen"
This is very hard.
Original english message:
"Press space to expand, and use up and down to select an item."

I looked this message in Orca de.po translation file, unfortunately Orca german translators lot of places using this simbols the msgstr messages.

Joanie, I looked little the problem:
The U+00bb and U+00ab characters added with src/orca/chnames.py file with following code lines:
# Translators: this is the spoken word for the character 'Â' (U+00ab)
#
chnames[u'\u00ab'] = _("left double angle bracket")

# Translators: this is the spoken word for the character 'Â' (U+00bb)
#
chnames[u'\u00bb'] = _("right double angle bracket")

In src/orca/punctuation_settings.py file this characters are added following code lines:
left_double_angle    =  u'\u00ab'
right_double_angle   =  u'\u00bb'
punctuation[left_double_angle]  =  [ LEVEL_NONE, PUNCTUATION_REPLACE ]
punctuation[right_double_angle] =  [ LEVEL_NONE, PUNCTUATION_REPLACE ]
If I understanding right this two last code line, left/right double angle brackets Orca spokening with every punctuation level? Possible this is the problem. Not better set this characters punctuation spokening with most level? If this change happening, possible if Chris setting punctuation level with few or none doesn't happening the described problem future. If my suggested change is good, I will be opening a bugreport with Chris problem related and attaching a patch. I think in Orca 3.4 branch not possible fixing this issue, because if I known right not will be releasing new Orca 3.4 maintenance versions.

Attila