[orca-list] Which distro for Orca 3.2 and audio and console

Hello everyone!
I'm really looking for Orca 3.2 now. I'm a Debian user so far and I have liked the distro very much. Still I am considering to switch now after all. But I have a few constraints: 1. Good console support with a nice repository of console apps (alpine, elinks, vim, lynx, all the scripting tools like mmv gawk,..., unrtf, wv-tools for converting docs, pdfto*... and more). Oh and a text-based way to easily install packages like aptitude.

2. I'm used to configuring a good deal of my system by hand, so this should not be discouraged.

3. Same goes for self-compiled kernels.

4. And a natural access to root logins. I've heard, that it was by default disapproved of in some distros, though snce they were mainly GUI at the time, I didn't pay too close attention.

5. a distro sensibly running without the need of a gUI environment or special GUI-daemons and what-not running in the background all the time.

It would of course be even better, if I could use my currently running system to update to the new distro, but I'm sure I'll manage somehow. So this would just be an added bonus. Ok, this is rather a lot I might be asking and probably impossible. I haven't delved into al the distros, since these days there seem to be so many. So I'm rather relying on a few good experiences for a start to minimise the possible list of suspects. Perhaps you can still recommend a few things, that meet as many as possible of the features listed above and just tel me, where they don't meet the desired features. Then I can investigate, which of them are easily fixeable or not. :-)
  Thank you all for reading thus far!
  Kindest regards
           Julien

Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;