Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu 11.10 & Gnome

Luke Yelavich <themuso ubuntu com> wrote:

Thats not true, the pulse developers are very receptive to our needs, but
its not something that needs changing in pulseaudio. Instead, for the most
part, its our software that needs changing. Yes ConsoleKit needs a bit of
work to allow us to use TTS with console logins, but other than that,
changes need to be made in espeakup, speechd-up, speech-dispatcher, etc to
work with consolekit, and thereby run with as few privileges as possible.

It appears that consoleKit is going away in distributions that adopt Systemd.
Note that Ubuntu is not yet among those distributions. debian has Systemd as
an option; Fedora and Opensuse have adopted it; I don't know the status of
others.

the best reference I could find is for Fedora:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ckremoval