Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu 11.10 & Gnome

That's true, but I didn't see any of that in Bill's post. In fact, I
thought he was rather positive concerning Unity.

I've read quite a few flames of Unity on the web, and I'm frequently
quite shocked at how many people flame Unity with no more reason than
it's "dumbed down" or "it's different" or "I've heard it isn't any
good." I enjoy reading the thought out feedback from someone who has
actually used Unity and provided some constructive criticism, even if it
isn't always positive. Unity won't improve without that constructive
criticism.

Besides if you based your opinion on whether something was flamed on the
INTERNET or not, you'd never change anything. I think Gnome 3 has been
flamed, every version of Windows and MS Office I can think of, ditto for
every version of JAWS and so on. It's a lot easier to have an opinion
and tare something down than it is to actually put some thought into
something and provide some constructive feedback that will actually make
something better.

As we've seen with Gnome 3, Unity and Windows 8, the desktop is going to
change and get more tablet friendly. IMHO, I think this will be good in
the long run. Apple, Google and others have made great strides in making
tablet friendly OS's and MS and Linux can take advantage of what they've
learned and discovered over the years. I also think it'll be great when
my tablet OS and my desktop OS behave similarly and I can seamlessly
move apps from one device to another. We can tilt at the windmills of
change or we can roll our sleeves up and make sure these new desktops
are accessible. I don't know which desktop I'll end up using, but I'll
be glad knowing I have multiple and accessible options. I'm sure I'll
have my preferences, but I'm not going to look down on others or other
desktops because people have different tastes and preferences than I do.