Do you mean that Unity is the reason most people who hate Ubuntu hate
it? Given that Ubuntu is still the most popular Linux desktop, I don't
think most people hate it.

On 04/01/12 21:22, Andy B wrote:
This is why most people hate Ubuntu...

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Cox [mailto:waywardgeek gmail com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 10:10 PM
To: Andy B
Cc: Glenn; orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu 11.10 & Gnome

On the login screen, you can choose your default desktop.  Just choose
"Unity 2D".  The Vinux guys naturally think "Yes! Get rid of that slow 3-D
crud!"  The shocking thing is that this version of the desktop isn't even
GTK based.  It's using Qt and the new qt-at-spi thingy, I think.  I read
about the rational, and it seems Canonical is very interested in ARM based
devices, and Qt is already there, so Unity 2D based on Qt may be how Ubuntu
gets on ARM tablets quickly.

This whole thing is super risky.  Chances are high that Ubuntu will once
again drop a software project, and any work we've done to improve Unity's
accessibility will be wasted.  However, I've not had any luck getting
improvements into the Gnome 2 desktop, nor has anyone else I've known in the
community, so I figure my work has better odds of making a difference in
Unity.  I'm also very interested in seeing how Qt a11y compares to GTK.
Orca expanding to support Qt is pretty huge.

Bill