Re: [orca-list] Measures to reduce Orca and Gnome crashes

On 12/31/11, Trevor Saunders <trev saunders gmail com> wrote:
So, for various reasons I've been using firefox with nvda instead of
orca for the paste week and couple days.  To be honest while there are
certainly ways the experience is better on windows I think I prefer
using orca, and I suspect a lot of it is related to things like quick
search working because there is no virtual buffer.

I've been using NVDA a lot because my current work requires Windows.
Being a magnifier user, I find NVDA very frustrating to use with
Firefox.  For one thing, NVDA fails to read complex web pages far more
often than Orca.  Also, I can't click on a paragraph and move the
focus there.  They have a "read object under cursor" feature that is
so cool I actually use it all the time, but after hearing a paragraph
on a web page, I can't click on it to continue reading from there!
Well... I'll probably be able to dive in and fix this in the NVDA code
at some point.  Another thing I love about Orca is I pretty almost
never feel a need to fix anything.  It's the most responsive project
to community input I've ever seen.

Overall, I'm finding NVDA does a better job with most Windows
applications than Orca does with most Linux applications.  However, I
find Orca superior in almost every way on the Python side of things.
I think what's going on here is Microsoft did a great job with their
MFC classes.  They are highly accessible, as is the Windows Desktop.
It makes NVDA's job a lot easier!

Bill