From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Christopher Chaltain
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:12 AM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Orca xterm braille Eclipse

I've used JAWS with Teraterm from Windows to access Unix boxes with good
success.

On 20/12/12 08:45, Alex Midence wrote:
Hi there!

I'll keep this brief.  Firstly, I am a long time Jaws and Focus 80
user so I know just exactly where your friend is coming from.  Also,
you are on the right track but need some tweaks.

1.        Get rid of RHEL if you can.  The accessibility stack on there
is old and doesn't have all the improvements you can find in the newer
stuff.  Orca is developed on a Fedora installation so, you can use
that.  Debian Wheezy and Ubuntu 12.04 are also great.

2.       Ditch xterm.  It's not accessible.  Use Gnome-terminal instead.

3.       Dependency hell got you.  Reason he doesn't have braile output
in x is probably due to dependency problems.  Probably missing
brltty-x11 packages and the liblouis libraries or something like that.
Another thing to check is to make sure Orca has the braille output
enabled.  Run the orca -t configuration script and make sure you
enable braille.

4.       If you just have to have to have to use RHEL, look into
installing Orca 3.2-xdesktop from sources since you'll get some
improvement over the one in Gnome 2.28 and it uses the old
accessibility stack with Corba.  You can get your hands on it from
live.gnome.org.

I'm sure there's much more I could say but this should get you started.
Oh and as Jose mentioned, Eclipse IDE is fully accessible with Orca.
One last thing, if you ever want him using SSH to log onto a Linux box
from a Windows machine with PuTTY or something like that, install the
open source screen reader NVDA from http://www.nvda-project.org.  Jaws
doesn't handle terminal windows very well but NVDA works nicely on them.

HTH,

Alex M

5.