[orca-list] Libre Office Accessibility Improvement Thread

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Meeks [mailto:michael meeks suse com]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2012 4:04 AM
To: V Stuart Foote
Cc: 'Christophe Strobbe'; accessibility global libreoffice org; Tom Davies; Stephan Bergmann
Subject: RE: off-list wb!! Re: [libreoffice-accessibility] Latest LibreOffice and Java access Bridge

On Thu, 2012-12-06 at 19:32 +0000, V Stuart Foote wrote:
Exactly! But since there are continuing issues with the UNO
Accessibility API, taking time no for reworking it (fixing short falls
for NSAccessibility and AT/ATK) while conceiving and implementing a
replacement Windows bridge (not using IBMs IAccessible2 "contribution"
when/if it finally is made) should result in better AT support across
all platforms.

        So - incidentally - a positive step we've taken in 4.0 here is to un-publish the UNO accessibility
API - and remove it from the ODK - that frees us up to substantially change / improve that interface which
(after all) should be internal anyway - an implementation detail of the interface between the core and the
platform's a11y toolkit.

        Stuart - do you have a good grasp on what is missing in those interfaces ? when I looked one of the
most glaring things was having only a translated name for each widget and not a programmatic one (in parallel
- nearly always the same un-translated name). That'd be a reasonably easy thing to fix, and would improve
things for atk I guess - but it's been a while since I dug here.

        Also - rolling that out would be almost an easy-hack I'd be happy to mentor.

        ATB,

                Michael.

--
michael meeks suse com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot