Re: [orca-list] links list

Thomas Ward <thomasward1978 gmail com> wrote:

Speaking for myself while I'm a skilled programmer I simply don't know
enough about Orca to add such a feature myself. Plus it doesn't help
that Orca requires the bleeding edge versions of Gnome etc so far
ahead of what stable distributions like Ubuntu 12.04 are using I'd
pretty much have to switch to a totally different distribution of
Linux or build Gnome 3.8 from scratch just to begin looking at working
on such a project.

Depending on the project, you could work on it with a stable version of Orca
(e.g., 3.6 at the moment), then forward-port the changes. Ubuntu 12.10
reportedly uses a Python 3 version of Orca, so you wouldn't have to deal with
the Python 2 to Python 3 transition after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.10.

I'm not an Ubuntu user, so I can't comment on how stable 12.10 is at this
point, or on whether that upgrade would be a good move or not.

It might be better to wait in any case for some of the Gnome changes to settle
down; I'm just pointing out that there are options available that don't
involve installing alpha or beta versions of Gnome and its dependencies.