Re: [orca-list] Installing gnome and switching from unity to gnome3 in Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04?

Hi Krishnakant,
That's because Gnome 3.x does not allow you to create launchers on your desktop. It doesn't work in Gnome shell, Gnome Classic, and I don't believe Gnome Fallback either. As I've said on list earlier it looks like the only use for the desktop as of Gnome 3.x is for sighted users to display their desktop background images and nothing more.

Of course,in the wider scheme of things that is becoming the norm. Windows 8, for example, doesn't allow people to place icons directly on the desktop either. Instead one has to pin them to the taskbar which is kind of the same concept of adding a launcher to the launcher toolbar in Unity. So in short it looks like no matter what OS or desktop we as blind users want to use the desktop is no longer useful to us for adding launchers and icons we frequently use.

Cheers!