Re: [orca-list] Installing gnome and switching from unity to gnome3 in Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04?

Hi,

If your friend wants Gnome 3, Gnome-classic is not what you are looking for. You want to do a

sudo apt-get install gnome gnome-session-fallback

This way, you get the gnome-shell which is quite accessible these days and is the true blue gnome 3 experience. To enable it, you edit the following two files:

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

/var/lib/AccountServices/users/<username>Â where username is your actual user name.

In both of these files, change the desktop x-session to gnome or gnome-shell. Iâve never gotten lightdm to work well for me since it doesnât talk and I donât like to just arrow up and down places where there might be no speech. I did that once and accidentally changed my language settings to something like Estonian or something like that and had a devil of a time putting things right after that when it came up talking in it. I donât speak Estonian, you se. Real pain in the posterior to fix. I donât recommend it. Changing the lines in the files I referenced above is slightly tedious but quite doable with Gedit or Nano both of which are quite accessible.Â

Best regards,

Alex M