Re: [orca-list] Webkit

Hi, Joannie,

Thanks for responding.  I sincerely hope you are not taking this as an
aspertion of any kind against you or the folks you work with.  Your
work is immensely appreciated and is to be commended.  If anything I
have written on this topic has offended you or made you feel attacked,
please accept my sincerest apologies for being such a poor writer as
to fail to parse my sentences in such a manner as nothing could be
further from my intentions.  I read over your e-mail a few times
before writing this response.  What you say makes sense but is quite
demoralizing.  That bug report you refered me to:  2 years and nothing
has been done on it.  I've encountered similar bugs for stuff like
Abiword and even entire libraries like WxWidgets.  The developers were
approached and said all sorts of nice encouraging things and then
relegated what is crucial to our very ability to use an application to
a nonpriority status often in favor of some asthetic thing or some new
feature or other and then, as happens in nonessentials in projects, it
gets backburnered or outright forgotten when something new or exciting
comes up.  Years and years go by, new libraries come into use, new
api's are invented and the problems persist on top of new ones with
new apps using new libraries which never quite make it to a11y year
after year.  I wish there were some middle ground that would prevent
such things from happening or significantly minimize their occurrence.
 I totally get the fact that they have a need to prioritize however,
they don't have the vested interest and motivation that we do and it
seems counter to the can do independent attitude one is taught to have
as a disabled person which basically says:  "Adapt to your situation.
Do the best you can.  Don't expect the world to adapt to you and don't
put yourself in a position where you will be reliant on somebody else
for living your life because you will no longer have control of it.
Sooner or later, the helpful person that is willing to walk you across
the street, give you rides to places, read things to you, ETC. ETC.
will be too busy, too worn out or otherwise unavailable to do it and
you'll be in a fix."  As long as we don't have a way to control what
is accessible from our end of things and as long as we are so very
reliant on a developer somewhere to implement one feature to his code
after he's already gone and used a library that is extremely
accessible out of the box, we'll continue to find ourselves hitting
brick walls when we go to use apps which are almost accessible but not
quite and which will remain in this state of being on the cusp of
usability for years and years.  Will Orca ever be set up such that
plugins can be created by individual users?  Do you think it's
realistic or doable to set up some sort of wizzard system tied somehow
to the preferences dialog which will enable users who don't
necessarily know how to code to create configurations that turn quasi
accesible apps into at least usable ones?  I've seen such things in
other screen readers on other platforms and the results they are able
to attain can be quite startling.  Brian Garaventa's wonderful work on
making HTML Kit accessible with Jaws comes to mind.  Jamal Mazrui's
very prolific production of scripts and such for Jaws and Window Eyes
are also a nice example.  I think the man knows Python.  I wish he
wandered over to Linuxland and tried his hand over here.  It'd be
interesting to see what he turned out with Orca if such things were
possible with it.  Just some thoughts.  Sorry about the length.

Have a nice evening,
Alex M