Re: [orca-list] Orca preferences dialog redesign

+1 for calling it "speak shortcut keys"
happy hacking.
Krishnakant.
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 07:28:22AM +0200, Hammer Attila wrote:
Hy Rob,

Speak object mnemonics checkbox saying you actual object shortcut
keys (mnemonic key for example a menu) automaticaly.
Simple need renaming this check box label with speak shortcut keys
automaticaly, or speak shortcut keys check box label.
I have got an another ydea with redesigning related, but need more
work investigating with longer time period:
Personaly, I like the now used method with Orca preferences dialog,
but some time possible following design is simplest:
Now, If Orca main window presenting the screen, presenting the four
buttons, preferences, quit, about and help button. Why not put the
awailable preferences page tabs a preferences submenu? If an user
want only changing keybindings related preferences, not need
activate Orca preferences dialog, going six page tabs, doing the
modifications and click ok button.
Look the menue style Orca main window design, not full clear yet the
specification, I very hesitate this design good or not, because I
already like now used design:
- Preferences main menu: this menu possible containing Orca
preferences dialog page tabs named menu items (general
preferences..., voice preferences..., speech preferences..., braille
preferences..., key echo preferences..., key bindings
preferences..., pronunciation preferences..., text attributes
preferences.
Each openeg small preference dialog part only need add a radio
button with possible toggling you want change each preferences with
application independent, or an application only.
I only not known how can possible handling application related
special pages for example with Firefox, Thunderbird, Etc.
- Profiles: This main menu containing profile related settings. Save
profile saves the actual setted preferences with a profile, other
menu items load an existing profile automaticaly.
Startup profile submenu possible containing awailable profiles with
check menu item menu type, so easy to change any Orca profile to
startup profile with next Orca start. A possible nice feature if an
Orca changing startup profile, perhaps need reloading actual
selected startup profile?
- Help menu: This menu containing a help menu item with possible
associate with F1 key accelerator, and an about button to present
Orca main window.
Ok, but we what doing with Orca main window presenting or not
presenting setting? Possible associate a hot key to always activate
Orca main window, similar with NVDA with Insert+N??
And we what place put for example a quit menu item? Quit menu item
is not fit the preferences main menu, or other main menu.
So, I full agree if more users like the now used page tab style
preferences dialog, because possible doing all preference
customizations with one dialog, this is the big adwantage the now
using method.

Attila