Re: [orca-list] Possibly Forking Gnome 2

Alex Midence <alex midence gmail com> wrote:
Hi, Jason,

Those are good technologies you mentioned.  I make use of them myself.
 My only beef with them is that they are far too speech-centric which
is all right if you just need something that provides spoken output in
order to use your pc.  to truly make something accessible, you don't
just make it talk.  You have to worry about magnification, braille
output, voice input, alternative input devices and so forth.  Chrome
Vox and Emacspeak are great if you rely on speech to interact with
your PC.  What though, if you're partially sighted, deaf-blind or
mobility impaired?

The same technologies used in Emacspeak and ChromeVox can be extended to
address these needs, too. I was writing about the techniques employed, not the
specific implementations, which are speech-centric as you say.

I hope this clarifies the point.