Re: [orca-list] Possibly Forking Gnome 2

Hi Jason,

Yeah, I'm afraid you have a good point there. As Gnome 3 etc improves
the libraries aren't going to remain static, and distributions like
Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, you name it aren't going to want to install
older libs if they can help it. So in order to maintain a fork for the
long hall would require a lot of effort spent on making sure the fork
would keep up with APIs and libs which would be an insane amount of
manpower. So that does pretty much shoot down the idea for me.

What you suggest like helping out with individual projects such as
LibreOffice accessibility, Firefox access, or helping out with KDE 4
accessibility does seem like a more realistic goal than maintaining a
Gnome 2 fork. Plus by hitching myself to an existing desktop or app I
can insure my work actually makes it into the major distributions, and
isn't just some optional desktop that may or may not get packaged for
distribution x. There are certain apps like LibreOffice and Firefox
that will be in someone's package repo no matter what. So I think you
convinced me that lending my help elsewhere is the right thing to do.

Cheers!