Re: [orca-list] Possibly Forking Gnome 2

Hi,

Well, that is the reason I'm bringing this up. I realise that Orca is
likely to keep up with newer desktops like Gnome 3, and I'm concerned
that if I base a desktop on Gnome 2 that there could be a conflict in
maintaining a backwards compatible version of Orca. In such a case
Orca would have to be branched or forked for Gnome 2 access and
another for Gnome 3.x support. This is why I really need to know where
Orca, ATK, At-Spi, and various other accessibility technologies are
headed so I might be able to maintain compatibility if possible.

In addition to Orca there is something else that is worth discussing.
Early on in the Gnome 2 development they developed gnome-speech for
handling speech drivers. Later gnome-speech was replaced by
speech-dispatcher. While I understand the change, especially for Gnome
3, I've found certain gnome-speech drivers work better. Take something
like Cepstral Swift drivers. With gnome-speech Cepstral voices are
fast and responsive. Use the generic Swift support in
speech-dispatcher and speech is slow and choppy. With that in mind
there would be some advantage to continuing gnome-speech development
and support since it is still compatible with Gnome 2.

Cheers!