Re: [orca-list] Possibly Forking Gnome 2

Hi Storm,

Yeah, I heard something about the Mate fork, but I've got personal
reasons of my own for creating my own fork of Gnome 2. For one thing I
feel if I personally take charge of a new fork I can insure and
maintain maximum accessibility as that will be first and foremost on
my list of things to do where a sighted dev might not be too concerned
about that. The other reason is that I personally have some creative
ideas where to take the Gnome desktop, ideas for a new sweet of
accessible apps, and want to give the Gnome 2 desktop a personal make
over. In other words I want to do more than just fork it I want to use
Gnome 2 as the basis of a new desktop that will compete with Gnome 3
and KDE. This is the power of an open source project like Gnome in the
first place.

I can take a stable desktop environment like Gnome 2, fork it, and
then modify it to suit my needs. I can rename it, add new features,
improve accessibility, customize it, and release my desktop
environment as an alternative to the existing desktops. In short, the
power of open source is the freedom to customize an existing software
product and rerelease it to the open source community as a new
software product. I think that's worth doing with Gnome 2. Especially,
if I actually carry out some of my ideas for the make over.

Cheers!