Re: [orca-list] Orca and FXCE Accessibility

Call me old-fashioned, but for what I use the GUI, I'm wondering if I
should go back to using just a window manager.  The question I have is
can Orca read the compiz boxmenu plug-in, and the switchers for the
desktop and windows (Alt-tab and CTRL-Alt-Arrow) without having the full
GNOME environment loaded.  I asked about this sort of thing somewhere
before but I don't remember if it was here or on the Vinux list.  I do
remember I didn't get any feedback.

What would I really be losing?  No panel at the bottom holding a clock I
don't look at, performance graphs I don't use, and a start menu that I
think can be replaced with the boxmenu mentioned above.  One thing I
might have a hard time working around is the menu I get from the network
manager applet.  The only reason I would have to use compiz at all is
the magnifier... everything else could be done from emacs.

Best regards,
rdc

Thomas Ward <thomasward1978 gmail com> writes:

Hi,

Agreed. I'm truthfully not satisfied with Gnome 3 at all right now,
and I'd be interested in what you find out about XFCE accessibility.
Right now I'm using Unity, and its ok, but it needs some accessibility
improvements before I'd call it a good alternative to Gnome. I'm
currently hunting for something else other than Gnome as Gnome 3 just
doesn't do it for me. Apparently it doesn't apeal to Linus either as I
find it interesting he has switched from Gnome 3 and KDE 4 to XFCE.

Cheers!