Re: [orca-list] Work around for gnome-terminal with orca bug

Hi,

On So, Okt 16 2011, Storm Dragon wrote:

I have discovered a very simple work around for the bug that leaves off
the first character while reading in gnome terminal with orca. It's
specifically for one program, tintin++, and muds.

I can confirm that this bug is extremely annoying when playing Muds. I
am using Tiny Fugue in gnome terminal ant I am experiencing the same
issue, the first character gets dropped by Orca for text which has been
inserted by the program with no immediate keyboard interaction.

The behaviour kan also be reproduced by executing the following commands
in Gnome-terminal:

while true; do echo 123; sleep 2;done

The one-liner starts a loop which should print 123 every two
seconds. But actually, Orca speacks 123 just the first time, in all
following iterations, it just speaks 23.

Remember to stop the loop with ctrl-c. :-)

The work around is to add a space at the beginning of every line. This
way the space gets left off by Orca and everything else is read.

I've solved this similarly  with TF's scripting language, however
this is only a workaround, a real bugfix in Orca would be awesome,
though.

cheers

  Henning