Re: [orca-list] Open/Libre Office: Structural Navigation added for buttons, check_box, combo_box, entry, heading, list box and table.

On 09/06/11 15:10, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Hi Dattatray.

Structural Navigation for Open/Libre Office covers only table_cell.
Due to a number of bugs in Open/LibreOffice which really need to be
fixed.

I have filed an enhancement request #652105 and submitted a patch
And as I stated there, you're adding a lot of code (not just a small
work-around hack) because LibreOffice has some bugs which can and should
be fixed. In addition, manipulating the GUI itself (i.e. scrolling the
document just to see what objects happen to be present) is not just a
bad idea, but it might have unintended side effects (due to triggering
additional AT-SPI events which other ATs used by Orca might be listening
for).

+1, I used to read some orca code long back and the way it is implemented, this is very important to do things in a way that the events are as smoothly consumed and passed over.

Kindly test the patch and give your valuable feedback.
I encourage people to do what the spirit moves them to do, including
testing the patch and providing feedback if they so choose. However, we
need to get the LibreOffice bugs fixed. Not add a bunch of new code to
Orca -- which we must then maintain -- to hack around their bug. Doing
this sort of hacking is, in my opinion, how we got into the situation we
are with Gecko (poor performance and bugs). Let's not make the problems
in Orca even worse; let's improve and fix the problems at their root.

Again +1, We should not always think of hacking orca, because one can't clap with one hand. In most cases I found that the problem is generally with the application in question.

Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.