Re: [orca-list] Structural HTML navigation by lists

Am 23.01.2011 07:34, schrieb Steve Holmes:
On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 09:32:31PM +0100, Marcus Habermehl wrote:
I have to contradict you. Otherwise we would have to put the flat review
to the debate. Just as an example: JAWS has shortcuts for structural
navigation and separate lists. No one I know and used JAWS, uses the
structural navigation.

I can't possibly fathom how one could get about on a website with
using structural navigation.  The list of links is so restrictive.
The lists method might work if you're having trouble finding
appropriate links or controls but what about the text around the
relevant links.  that is all missed if you just use links and controls
in lists.  Anyway, I think the feature should be included but I also
think the commands for it should come under a single key to invoke the
lists navigation feature.  Say if the primary command to invoke this
feature was something like Orca+L, then you could press Orca+L
followed by e to pop up the list or tree node of edit boxes; press
Orca+L followed by b to pop up the node of buttons.  This way, you
don't lose a bunch of primary keys possibly available for other Orca
features in the future.  Also, that combination of Orca+Ctrl+key is a
bit much on laptops where the caps lock is often used.  At least it is
to me.

I have to honestly say, I just can not understand the argument about the
number of shortcuts. There are ~ 26 letters, 10 numbers, 12 function
keys and modifier keys and symbol keys.

So many features cann't be provided for doucments that the shortcuts are
scarce.

And you have to remember the shortcuts only when you use it.

As for the shortcut itself, I am open to suggestions.

joanie, could Orca handle such "two-step shortcuts"?

Greetings
Marcus