Re: [orca-list] Alternatives for Open Office

Luciano de Souza <luchyanus gmail com> wrote:

Since Open Office is not reliable, I decide to search for other
alternatives. StarOffice, KOffice, GOffice, AbiWord, GWriter,
XEmacs, IBM Lotus Symphony could be tested, regarding the target of
these applications are similar to Open Ofice.

Which of then were you tested? Can I use one of then in place of the
whole Open Office or simply in place of Writer or Calc?

For writing documents I use LaTeX under Emacs. You can also prepare slide
presentations with LaTeX. LaTeX is better than a word processor and always
will be.

Org-mode in Emacs is also very good. It can handle tables and apparently has
spreadsheet-like capabilities that I haven't yet needed to try. It's ideal for
note taking; documents can be exported to XHTML, LaTeX and Docbook.

If you are in a career that requires you to edit documents in an office
format, you really do need Openoffice.org or LibreOffice, so I would encourage
you to report all of the accessibility-related issues in those projects that
you discover.