Re: [orca-list] OT setting up Evolution Mail

I think in evolution the option for POP as server type is the same as POP3 in other clients. One would have thought that if evolution was unable to get the mail for some reason it would show a warning/error message. Are there any specific settings you are unsure of which we could try and explain?

An alternative to using evolution for email would be thunderbird. I would say in general I prefer the interface of thunderbird, setting up email accounts can be easy (it has a feature where it can attempt to find out the settings automatically for you, eg. with my AIM email account I just entered my email address and password and thunderbird found the server settings for me). However from time to time Mozilla products do seem to break something with accessibility, there's times when you feel what might they break next. As an example if you use a version of thunderbird from the 3.1 branch there is a problem with focus when you open a message in a new window rather than in a new tab, upgrading to thunderbird 3.3 development builds will solve that but 3.3 has an issue of speaking the wrong character when using backspace. Despite the warts of thunderbird I do still use it rather than evolution. I think the only time I would use evolution instead of thunderbird is if I needed to use an exchange server for email, I don't know of any plugin or support for it in thunderbird.

Michael Whapples