Re: [orca-list] Measures to reduce Orca and Gnome crashes

Hi Andy,

Yeah, the first boot program is a bit of a pain with Fedora, but I'm
sure there is a work around for it.

As for installing Fedora my situations a bit different than yours as I
have like three laptops and a desktop in this house so installing it
over a telnet connection etc  isn't really a big deal. However, if you
don't have an extra system handy there should be a way to install the
live cd as I've seen some suggestions here on how that might be
acomplished.

As far as Arch I'm afraid I don't get you. Speakup uses software
speech, ESpeak, just like Orca so I don't know where you get the
notion you need some special hardware to use it. The Arch setup seems
accessible enough as far as I can tell.

That said, I know why you'd like to stick to Ubuntu. I began using it
faithfully around v6.04 and fell in love with the distribution. So I'm
very very upset how they've ruined it with Unity.

I know Ubuntu can be made accessible, but it just seems to me to take
10 times the work on 11.10 to get accessibility we had in say 10.04
just because they've decided to go Unity and we have to install a
different desktop environment and add apps  that are more accessible
to us. About the only thing I can think of is asking Cononical to roll
a Gnome distribution, or at least get permission to roll my own distro
where Unity gets dumped in the trash and all the Gnome 3.2 components
get restored to the distrobution.

Cheers!