[orca-list] speakup not speaking

Howdy all

Well I think I might have done something to speakup. I probably should not have, but I ran updates anyway to
see what would happen. Everything seems to work okay, orca almost runs better, but speakup seems to have been
silenced. It does not seem to turn on. I wonder if someone could refer me to a source to troubleshoot this
problem. I have only found info on installing it, but I don't know if that is what I want to do. I might
already have an installation of speakup, and following the online directions for installing from nothing
might just clutter up my computer even more.

I am getting the impression that linux really isn't something that you can just casually walk in to, unless
you just don't care to have a computer that runs well. I'm going to look for some "linux for dummies" manuals
-- I doubt if they will help me with the speakup problem -- but it might be useful. Right now when I read
online instructions, I don't really understand any of the terminology that they are using, so in the end the
online documentation is proving rather useless.

Regards
Justin