Re: [orca-list] scope of this list

Hello,
I guess much of what I have to say has probably already been said, however I will give my view so as to help in show what the weighting of views might be.

While the idea of keeping list to there topics and try and do that tightly might sound desirable, I think it isn't helpful and may actually be negative.

Firstly it isn't always clear as to what is on and off topic for a list. OK, some criteria has been laid out, however even that has grey areas. Where might such a question as "The distribution I use (distribution X) has served me well, I find that now there integration of gnome accessibility has become poorer and so distribution X is poor to use. What distributions might people suggest me to try and use which will give me a good experience of using gnome with orca? Please keep in mind that I have come from distribution X and I like how that distribution works for system administration (IE. its package manager, etc)." Well it might belong on the orca-list as I want to know about the experience of using Orca, but I feel under what has been said may be it should be on the blinux list as I am really asking about the accessibility of distributions. Another approach might say, well you really should be going to the lists/forums of distribution X and trying to get them to fix the accessibility issues. Also may be other distribution X users might be able to point you towards other distributions which have similar tools for system administration. I guess yet another approach might be to say, have in mind some distributions you are interested in (IE. for this case those which are similar to distribution X) and then go round those distribution lists asking how well accessibility works on those distributions.

So for a very simple looking question we have potentially four approaches of where to go. This leads to my second point, with so many options for where might be appropriate to ask, should on topic rules be too strict then this may lead to someone being too concerned for being told "clear off this is not the list for that" that they may just decide to not ask the question at all. Should people feel unable to ask questions they need to know the answer to, either they will be very unproductive or they may decide to give up on Linux and Orca as they cannot get what they need to do done.

Even more technical questions which may seem more Orca specific may actually not turn out to really be an Orca issue. An example is that on my archlinux system libreoffice seems to be inaccessible with Orca. This might be an LibreOffice issue, it might be an Orca issue, it might be something to do with at-spi or it may even be an ArchLinux specific issue. Other than the second case, I guess under what you say report the issue here could be off topic.

I feel Orca is too connected with other parts of the system to be properly separated from them at times, therefore there are times when you will have to live with some overlap.

Finally, although I am saying we should be accepting of the scope being broader than Orca and just Orca, we should all try and use some common sense when posting. May be asking questions like: Is this something of interest to Orca users (eg. there was a post about voiceman, while not about Orca it was something which I might have been interested in, so I would still consider relevant), might Orca users/developers be the best people to assist with this or are there better people to ask.

OK, I did say finally on the last paragraph, but this just occurred to me, may be the best response those of us in the know can do if there is a clearly off topic posting is to try and educate the person on where to go. Politely point out that this is the Orca list, people here use Orca but probably will use a variety of distributions and so will not be an expert in that specific matter and suggest that they may find experts in the matter on another list (name the list).

Michael Whapples