Re: [orca-list] Alternative to Ubuntu?

Craig Blake <cmb1589 gmail com> wrote:

Any help please? How about Fedora? Wouldn't mind going Red Hat since I'm
into web development.

There are people who use it with (among other tools) Orca, some of whom
subscribe to this mailing list.

Other distributions mentioned frequently are Debian (my personal choice) and
Arch Linux. OpenSuse isn't mentioned as often, but Suse developers have
contributed to accessibility, which may or may not be indicative of how
accessible their distribution is by default.

Remember, it's Linux: you can modify it, install and remove packages,
configure software etc., until it does what you want. The choice of
distribution is really a question of which one gives you the shortest path to
where you want to go. They all have different policies and priorities.

In my experience, it's mostly beginners or near beginners who go distribution
shopping; experienced users tend to settle on one or two that they like and
customize the configuration according to their preferences, switching only
when there is a significant gain to be made.