[orca-list] Indicators [was "Re: Connecting to a wireless network"]

On 09/08/11 23:33, Luke Yelavich wrote:
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 02:01:09PM EST, Christopher Chaltain wrote:
Ah, thanks Luke! I found
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopExperienceTeam/ApplicationIndicators
which gives a good description of these indicators. I also saw several
pages with links to useful indicators. Do I just need to install the
indicator for the application I'm interested in (Tomboy, Ubuntu One,
Glipper, ...) and they'll show up and I'll be able to access them with
Windows+s and/or Windows+m? Any idea why Vinux doesn't include any of
these? I'll also send this message over to the Vinux support list.

I'd need to check to be sure, but I think Vinux does come with indicators for network, sound, tomboy etc,
but since the panel layout has been changed, you do not have the applets that host the indicators on your
panel anywhere. You need to go to the panel, and add "Indicator Applet", and "Indicator Applet Session" to
your panel as new applets. The names I gave for them may not be exactly correct, but if you search for
indicator applet in the add panel window, they should come up in the resluts, and you need only press enter
to add them to your panel.

hth

Luke

Again, thanks Luke! I added the indicator applet (note that I used
control+F10 in the bottom edge panel to bring up the menu where I could
add applets) and now I'm playing with the different indicators. BTW,
sometimes I can't get out of the indicator applet and get back to my
desktop. Is there a sure fire way to jump from the indicator applet to
the desktop or somewhere else on the system?

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain gmail com