Re: [orca-list] new info on firefox keyboard shortcuts problem

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 09:54:18AM -0500, Robert D. Crawford wrote:
I went looking about for more possible information on what might be
causing the problem and I think I found it.  In

~/.local/share/orca/app-settings/Mozilla.py

I find this line:

orca.settings.orcaModifierKeys = ['Caps_Lock']

Yeah, delete this line from the fore mentioned script.  It shouldn't
be there.  Not sure how it got there but that line doesn't show in my
Mozilla.py script.  It may have somehow been updated while in a
preference dialog specifically for the Mozilla application.  Recall
that Orca+Space puts you in Orca's global preferences where
Orca+Ctrl+Space will open an application specific dialog for the
currently focused application.

This points back to the issue I had previously mentioned with the orca
modifier key switching itself back to caps_lock.  The only thing I can
figure is that it got switched before I saved the firefox preferences
and now is set.  I don't have a caps_lock key, so I have no way to open
the preferences dialog.

Yes, if you were in specific preferences for Firefox and then messed
with the specification of the Orca key, then it probably got written
into this file.  Just delete the line with a text editor like vim or
emacs.

From the comments at the top of the file, I see this:

# If you want permanent customizations that will not
# be overwritten, edit Mozilla-customizations.py.

but locate doesn't find such a file.  Searching google for the filename
and orca gives nothing relevant as far as I can see.

If you want a customization file, you have to create it.  That is
suggested because when you change Orca's preferences from the dialogs,
Orca writes over these .py files.  The customization versions will be
left alone.