From: "Kyle" <kyle4jesus gmail com>
Sent: Wednesday 03 Nov, 2010 15:11
To: <orca-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] speech-dispatcher,where else does it get its settings?

type the following line into a terminal

grep gdm /etc/passwd

You should see a line that looks something like

gdm:x:113:120:Gnome Display Manager:/var/lib/gdm:/bin/false

Pay close attention to this line, especially the directory that is listed before the last colon, which on my Ubuntu Maverick system is /var/lib/gdm. Now try

sudo cp -R .speech-dispatcher /var/lib/gdm
sudo chown -R gdm.gdm /var/lib/gdm/.speech-dispatcher

If I read a previous mail in this thread correctly, your problem should be solved at this point. If not, try instead

sudo mkdir -p /var/lib/gdm/.speech-dispatcher/conf
sudo cp -R /etc/speech-dispatcher/* /var/lib/gdm/.speech-dispatcher/conf
sudo chown gdm.gdm /var/lib/gdm/.speech-dispatcher

If I think of anything else that may help, I'll post it in this thread. Good luck.
~Kyle