Re: [orca-list] speech-dispatcher, where else does it get its settings?

It's all this complication why some of us prefer to run speech
dispatcher as a system service.  In other words, turn off autospawning
and configure speech dispatcher to start up once at boot time and have
all clients such as Orca,, spd-say, speechd_up (if used) call upon
this single server.  Then the configurations would all come from a
single place - /etc/speech-dispatcher.  I realize that some distros
that are obsessed with using Pulse Audio may not work with this
suggested configuration however.

If you continue down the road of individual processes of speech
dispatcher, then Orca for your normal login session will use
~/.speech-dispatcher as its base.  For gdm however, the
.speech-dispatcher directory in gdm's home directory will take effect
during the gnome gdm login screen.  On my Arch Linux system, gdm uses
/var/lib/gdm as its home directory for gdm.