Re: [orca-list] Calling all braille users. I need your opinions.

Hey Halim.

If we make the message too short, we might be failing to include
important information for braille-only users. So what shall we do about
it folks?

Maybe
orca.settings.enableBrailleContext = False
in orca-customization.py helps!

Interesting idea, but different situation I think. The braille context
is all the other stuff up the hierarchical chain of widgets: the dialog
box which contains the panel which contains that push button you're on.
And if we're doing things correctly, the focused element should be
displayed (i.e. you'd have to pan left to get the context). Regardless,
eliminating the context would eliminate the dialog box and panel. (I
know you know this Halim, but I mention it both for comparison and for
everyone else following this conversation.)

The question at hand is, what should we display in braille when you've
changed a setting on the fly, like speak table cell versus speak table
row; or Gecko is controlling the caret versus Orca is controlling the
caret? There's no context to eliminate; it's just a string. A string
which might be too long if you have a tiny display and know what you're
doing.

If Orca only existed in English, I'd think we could solve this problem
by always placing the critical information first ("Most punctuation will
be spoken" as opposed to "Punctuation level set to most"). That way, the
first thing you read is "Most" and can move on if you know what you're
doing. We should probably be better about doing that anyway. However,
getting back to the topic at hand, placing the most important word in
English first doesn't mean that'll be the first (or second or ...) word
in all other languages. Therefore, having given things some more thought
and read other replies in the braille thread, I'm leaning towards:

1. We need an option/setting for brief braille flash messages. (e.g.
full message: "Punctuation level set to most"; brief message: "Most
punctuation" -- or perhaps just "Most" with a carefully-worded
translator note?)

2. This option should be independent of the other settings, such as
enableBrailleContext and brailleVerbosityLevel.

3. As a separate issue, yeah, we should probably consider making the
brief-message option something configurable in speech as well. But for
now, I want to focus on braille.

Thoughts?
--joanie