Re: [orca-list] IMPORTANT - README - FLAG DAY

Hi Krishnakant:

But I thought I might be too stupid to ask on this list because all
contributers would find it so basic that it was too obvious to answer.

Gosh, I don't think we have that sort of culture here. From what I've
seen, we all help each other out. If you have a question about Orca,
especially its code, you should ask here.

Joanie, I had sent you a private mail for asking some specific help on
getting started with hacking orca.

I just went through my Inbox again and I'm not seeing it. Sorry! Sleep
deprivation and/or that silly tracker bot could be to blame.

Regardless, in terms of getting started, I'd suggest you just dive in.
Just like Josà did the other day: He wanted Orca to speak the line to
which the caret had moved. So he:

1. Captured a debug.out

2. Looked at all the events in his debug.out to see what we were getting
and what we were responding to and how we were responding

3. Thought about what the solution would look like

4. Asked on the list for confirmation of his analysis of the relevant
portion of the debug.out

5. Started in on a script, but couldn't quite get it working

6. Asked on the list

Etc., etc.

I'm afraid we do not have a "Beginner's Guide to Creating Custom Scripts
in Orca" written. I'm afraid I do not have time to write such a guide.
Your humble project lead/maintainer is a volunteer who has a DayJob. If
other humble volunteers feel like writing such a guide, I would be more
than happy to give feedback and edits as time permitted. If someone had
funding to write such documentation, that would be great too.

Until we have such a guide, I'm afraid you'll have to roll up your
sleeves and dig into Orca. As I've said time and time again, debug.out's
contain a wealth of information and you just have to get used to reading
them and pulling out the relevant details. There's nothing else I have
or can suggest at the moment. My apologies.

Take care.
--joanie