[orca-list] Live regions in a non-web application?

Hello.

I am one of the developers of Eclipse. I work on the SWT team. We are trying to enable improved accessibility support for the next release of Eclipse.
Eclipse is a cross-platform application, written in Java, but it uses the accessibility features available on the platform rather than using the Java Access Bridge.

I am currently trying to get "live regions" working. I have a little test with a gtk_label that is updated based on what a user types in a gtk_text_view. The text_view is "describedBy" the label (using a relation). And the object properties of the label include aria-live:assertive and aria-atomic:true.

This little test works with JAWS on Windows. But Orca does not announce changes in the label. What is Orca looking for in this situation? Is it possible that Orca only looks for live regions in web applications or browsers? This is just a plain window with a label and a text view. There are no pages being loaded or anything. I also tried container-live=assertive and container-atomic=true, because I noticed some Orca mailing list hits using those terms.

Before I start learning Git and Python <grin> does anyone have any ideas?

Thank-you,
Carolyn