Re: [orca-list] Live regions in a non-web application?

I'm not sure that live regions are intended for anything other than web
applications, or rather, for non-HTML use cases. I'm pretty sure they're
used in various Firefox extensions that render HTML for their UIs (I.e.
Firebug) but in reading the specs and usage examples I've never seen
anything that would suggest their utility for generic desktop widgets.
That it works under JAWS may be by design or may just be a bug.

The way to do what you're attempting is almost certainly by writing an
Orca script, which is actually not that difficult. It's mainly a matter
of writing custom callbacks for various event types, then pattern
matching on the events to present certain things in whichever ways you
choose.

BTW, thanks for working to improve Eclipse accessibility. I tried it
recently for developing Scala apps and couldn't access some buttons in
the plugins UI to download the Scala plugin, so gave up on it. I think
that having an IDE with good code completion and incremental compilation
will go a long way toward boosting my productivity and making
development much less painful. :)